History

The International Commercial Arbitration Committee, the former body of JCAA, was established in 1950 within the Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry, with the support of six other business organizations including the Japan Federation of Economic Organizations, the Japan Foreign Trade Council and the Federation of Banking Associations of Japan, to serve as an organization to settle commercial disputes and promote international trade, thereby contributing to the development of the Japanese economy.

In1953, with the further growth of international trade, the arbitration committee was reorganized as JCAA to become independent from the Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry in order to expand and streamline its business activities.

Over the last 50 years, JCAA has been doing its best to settle mainly international commercial disputes resulting from international business deals and to prevent such disputes by encouraging the use of its consultation and information services.

In addition to these services, since 1973, JCAA has been issuing and guaranteeing ATA Carnets-official forms for customs clearances-under the ATA Convention on temporary admission of goods.